With 306 billion emails sent EVERYDAY in 2020, email is still one of the most popular ways to contact someone online and email marketing is still as relevant as ever. In fact, 93% of B2B marketers use email to distribute content. It’s no wonder then that so many companies are investing heavily in improving their Email Marketing Campaigns – after all, it can be one of the best ways to reach your target audience and ultimately drive conversions. We focus on this and other mind blowing email marketing statistics on this post because as an email marketer, it’s important to know what makes it tick. Marry the art of email marketing and the numbers associated that make email marketing so effective, efficient and an excellent tool for retention marketing.
1. Number of email sent: worldwide
2. Email Marketing generates a 42x ROI
If you’re looking to get the most out of your marketing budget, invest in Email Marketing. This channel continues to outperform other digital marketing channels and offers a strong return on investment. For every dollar spent on email marketing, you can expect an average return on investment of $42 (litmus, 2019).
3. Email marketing influences purchase decisions
One of the most important (and sometimes complicated) things in a company is to influence people’s purchasing decisions in order to grow sales. Email marketing is one of the best channels for this with 59% of people saying that email marketing has influenced their purchasing decisions. (B2C, 2019). Here are some tips that can be applied to email to influence customers and grow sales:
- Make your customers feel special with your content.
- Offer lots of information, especially educational content about your products and your brand.
- Include social proof (i.e. reviews and testimonials).
- Storytelling is a great tool to communicate with your audience.
- Make realistic promises and offer discounts.
- Provide a high level of service.
4. Video and GIFs improve clickthrough rates
Getting someone to open your email is a big part of the goal of sending one, but there’s no point in getting someone to open your email if they don’t click on anything. That’s why click-through rates (CTR) are also very important when it comes to email conversions.
If you’re looking to generate more engagement with your audience, including interactive content (such as videos) in your emails can help boost your clickthrough rates by up to 300%. It’s worth it to point out that 90% of users say that videos help them make a purchase decision and 81% of marketers use video as a marketing tool. (Snov, 2021)
5. Majority of emails are opened on the mobile phone and need to be mobile-optimised
If you want to get the most out of the emails you’re sending, it’s very important to optimize them for mobile devices. Worldwide, more and more people are opening emails on smartphones and tablets, and this number will only keep growing. One study found that half of all emails are opened on a mobile device and 85% of users use smartphones to access email. For 25-34 year olds, these numbers go up to 90%.
Email open rates on mobile devices are also high with an average open rate of 23% and CTR of 3.71%.
At Hustler Marketing, we implement the best techniques to create emails that are mobile-optimized, drive conversions and boost sales for your business. This is critical, since 70% of mobile email users delete badly formatted messages in under three seconds. Simply put, you are losing a lot of money if you don’t optimize your emails. (99 Firms)
6. Segmentation in email lists is a salient feature of email marketing
Segmentation is one of the best features of email marketing because of its ability to help you improve your most important metrics—namely open rates, CTR, and conversions. Used wisely, it can even help decrease spam complaints. Segmentation is also an efficient way to group your customers according to purchase history, browsing activity, and products they like and search for. It’s a great way to get to know your customers better and generate more conversions. The information you gain from segmenting will help you send the right content to the right people at the right time. In fact, segmented campaigns drive a 760% increase in revenue. (Campaign Monitor)
7. Cart Abandon Flow is the flag bearer of email marketing
Why do people abandon purchases?
- Unexpected shipping cost (28%)
- Had to create an account (23%)
- Conducting research (16%)
- Payment security concerns (13%)
- Confusing Checkout (12%)
- Couldn’t find a coupon code (8%)
These are the most common reasons for cart abandonment. In reality, 75% of visitors will leave your website without completing their purchase—and without a strategy to address this, you’ll lose a lot of money in the process.
Many of these problems can be solved by the use of cart abandonment email flows. This is one of the best ways to reconnect with your customers and fix whatever issue caused them to abandon their cart.
Cart Abandonment emails remind customers of the items they added to their cart, and encourage them to return to the website and complete a purchase.
Emails can also be personalised, and features like urgency messages and client testimonials can also be included.
8. Automated Flows contribute 60% of the email marketing revenue
Email automated workflows are one of the best ways to turn leads into customers—and the best part is you can generate a lot of money while saving tons of time. Stats have it that 320% more revenue is driven from automated emails.
Here are some of the most important benefits of having automated emails:
- Save time and effort by eliminating manual work.
- Nurture leads and keep them engaged to generate more conversions.
- Grow awareness and understanding of your business.
- Increase relevance and strengthen messaging.
- Reduce the potential for errors.
- Better targeting and segmentation of your customers.
- Reduce cost and boost revenue.
9. Using emojis in Subject Lines can improve conversion rates
If you want to increase your email campaign’s success, including emojis in your subject lines could increase your open rates by 56%.
Emojis are a great way to emotionally connect with your audience as well as save space. On mobile devices, you can only use about 30 characters before text is cut off. Using a few relevant emojis can get the message across in less words.
However, if you choose to use emojis, it’s very important to understand your customers so you can be relevant with the emojis you pick.
10. The reason why users unsubscribe from your emails
Email unsubscribes are a bane of any email marketer. While a small subset of your email list will and is expected to unsubscribe after every email and is normal. But if you’re seeing a high number of unsubscribes — say upto 1% every email, we have a problem at hand. To help lower your unsubscribe rates and cultivate a longer lasting relationship with your customers, here are some recommendations
- Don’t send too many emails:
- Communicate your send frequency in your opt-in form.
- The frequency of your emails should be what you promised to your subscribers.
- Send a newsletter at least once per week to increase the number of leads you receive.
- Avoid irrelevant content:
- Send relevant and personalized emails to your subscribers.
- Base your content on hard-data: demographics, behaviours and engagement.
- Make sure readers know they are subscribing:
- Ask readers to opt-in to receive emails from you. (This will also help you decrease your spam rates.)
Time to Get to Work
There are many more incredible statistics and benefits about email marketing, but these 10 should arm you to get work improving your strategy and metrics.
Of course, it’s always useful to have a little experienced guidance. Here at Hustler Marketing, we can help you develop the best personalized strategy for your business so you can boost your sales and increase the success of your email campaigns and automated flows. If you want to talk, don’t wait. Book a call with our Sales team today for a free consultation.